Saturday, August 9, 2014

Hope Farm… harvesting freedom.

So here I am, closing out my first week here in Honduras. I know I haven't been updating things very much and posting pictures and what not, but, sorry not sorry. I have been so wrapped up here. And now I have just a few moments so let me try and fill you in just a little bit…

For the past five days I have been at Hope Farm, a children's home that I got to visit only briefly during my last trip here. Though even in my brief time I spent here two years ago, I knew that this place was special. I knew that there was something very specific that drew me in to what they were doing here. Even as I listened to Paula talk to one of her adopted sons about school and homework (very mundane things) I felt so overwhelmed with the presence of something greater in the midst. This past week I witnessed this on an even bigger scale. I got to be a part of daily life here at the farm. And it was beautiful.

All of the kids have come from ROUGH backgrounds. They have been through situations that if you heard about would make you cry- like I'm trying not to do right now.
But let me tell you something else about these kids- they are great. They are loved, and they are loved well. And their lives are being redeemed. They have been pulled out of the darkest of places and God is using the Colbaths to sow hope and love into their destinies; and I believe without a shadow of a doubt that there will be freedom harvested in their lives.

The thing I've found that has drawn me to this place is that I didn't come visit an institution or a program; I came to visit a home. A home where life happens and things get messy, but everyone works together and does their best to make things right. And in that, they are changing lives. They are shifting things in the Kingdom, just by living authentically and graciously.

And just a side note- Mark & Paula (the parents at HF) are some of the most down to earth, humble, gracious, people you could ever imagine. They are pouring their lives out in a way that just by being around them makes you feel like you understand the gospel a little better. They are a smaller children's home (they have made the decision to stay smaller in order to shepherd the lives of the kids well), and so they function similar to a "normal" family. Paula makes dinner, and home schools a majority of the kids, and Mark supports them by working two jobs (smart computer-y jobs) from home. They are amazing, hardworking, parents. And they love their kids.

As I talked with Paula throughout this last week, I felt so much freedom. As we talked about the stories of the kids and the struggles of life, and Paula talked with so much grace in everything, I felt overwhelmed by the goodness of God. I felt hope rise in my soul, as I was reminded that life is hard BUT God is so good. He is good not to leave us in our dark places; He pulls us out and puts us in a family. He becomes our Abba.

So as I leave here to head to another one of my favorite places in the world (Jardin de Gracia) I am so grateful for this time I have had to experience the goodness of God, and see the Kingdom prevailing even in the midst of darkness.

And this little short rambley blog doesn't even come close to giving you the full picture of Hope Farms, so if you want to know more here is a link to their website where you can read more about what they're about :) including their recent chocolate endeavors!! They are making fairly traded chocolate, and let's just say it's really good… I may have eaten just a little bit while I've been here…

Blessings to you guys back in The States!
Shalom!!


http://hopefarmhonduras.org/AboutUs.php

No comments:

Post a Comment